Saturday, April 26, 2008

Quotes of the Day

After telling my chiropractor all about the attack thermos and resulting bruised rib, she asked me, "Where does it hurt the most?". I pointed to a spot between my breasts, just to the left of my sternum. She pulls out this medieval torture device. Some kind of spring-loaded metal instrument that punches your displaced rib back into place. She proceeds to repeatedly use said device to sucker punch me repeatedly in the spot I just pointed out. To which I replied, "Mother fucker! I hate you!".

Paige is sick, plus it is 30 degrees and snowing, so we've been watching movies all afternoon. I fell asleep during Jesus Camp and woke up in time for Into the Wild. Two hours into the movie, Paige said, "When is he just going to die already?".

6 comments:

Schmiddy said...

LOL! You crack me up. I missed you guys this weekend - I hope to see you soon!

CoryQ said...

You didn't have to pay medical personnel to punch you. I would have done it for free!

When people ask me if I have read "Into The Wild", I ask them why I would want to read a book where I know the main character dies because of his own foolish unprepardness. They just look at my blankly.

Smitty said...

Schmid - I really did say that to my chiro. All she did was laugh and gleefully continue. Sadist!

CoryQ - I just wasn't feeling "Into the Wild." This kid is held up as some kind of back-to-nature hero. He didn't have a great homelife, but to me he still seemed like a selfish and ungrateful brat who was only able to make it on his trip as long as he did because of the middle class upbringing and college education that his parents provided. And his white male privilege. The one potentially redeeming part of the story was the kindness of strangers that helped him along the way. But even in some of those cases he showed a lack of genuine graditude. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I read the book.

Schmiddy said...

I read the book and saw the movie...I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I still found a lot of it intriguing. Plus, he managed to do quite well surviving on VERY little for a long time (book does a better job showing this)...however, he could have saved himself by preparation and different decisions, making the whole thing frustrating. :)

chinesetwine said...

Jesus Camp is totally worth watching, by the way.

Smitty said...

Chinesetwine - I fell asleep during Jesus Camp purely from fatigue, not because it is boring or not worth watching. I fully intend to watch the parts I missed before the movie goes back!