Monday, April 28, 2008

Google searches as insight into Smitty's life


So you know how when you type any letter or combination of letters into a Google tool bar search box, there is immediately a drop down menu of all your own searches that match (which is then followed by the most overall popular searches using those letters)? I decided to type every single letter of the alphabet into my Google tool bar at work and log my top five searches under each letter. What does it say about me? That I listen to a lot of NPR for one. I've color coded my searches into the following categories:
Trying to hear something on NPR, or following up on something I heard
CoryQ related searches
I have no idea why I was looking this up
Hey! I actually looked something up for work!
My attempt to get at the correct meaning or spelling of something.
Other things on the internet made me wanna look this up.
Keeping up on Current events
Looking up stuff for life outside of work.
No discenrable category - aka what's leftover.


A.
amc theaters showtimes
abc debate obama clinton
april 16 debate
auto glass minneapolis
ann arbor civic theater

B.
be a brit different
bryant park project
bruised rib
bruised rib pain
bravo tv

C.
Car Talk
Cribsheet twin cities
College of St. Catherine
Chimera
Comcast Cable

D.
Double Dare Nickelodeon
Dane Cook Speak and Spell
Design Sponge
Dane Cook
Daniel Holcomb minnesota

E.
examinate
ellen gay boy killed
endymion krewe
electric fetus
eating on fat tuesday

F.
festifools ann arbor
ftm thomas beattie
ftm message board
ftm
ftm support

G.
genuine
guillermo vargas habacuc
geep
green eggs and ham
girl scout cookie names

H.
Highway 61 MN
human chimera
hognose snake plays dead
hognosed snake
hallmark

I.
i hate bryant park project
ijustine
imageshack
improv everywhere
internet is affecting my quality of life

J.
jake gyllenhaal reese witherspoon
javanese food
javanese mountain dish
jamaican bobsled team pictures
judge maggie cammer

K.
kdwb
kate moennig
kare11 news
kimya dawson
ksw scientology

L.
l word alice tattoo disappearing
leisha hailey tattoo
leisha hailey tattoo removal
lawrence king
larry brandon gay 8th grader

M.
macac
mn public radio
moxie salon minneapolis
medium
monkey river town

N.
nordic inn crosby mn
ncaa basketball picks
north pole
nomad bar mn
no such thing as a clean break
O.
obama verus clinton
obama or clinton
other people's stories
operating heavy machinery
one shot too many

P.
Privilege
postcards from yo mama
pulmonary embolism
photoshop disasters
prairie dog meme

Q. I had no personal searches starting with "Q"

R.
radio lab
reuse center minneapolis
rosie o'donnell
randy paush oprah
river heights charter school

S.
Steven
slush girl
star parker
stamping minneapolis
sally kern

T.
truck nuts
tim e woodsman
tila tequila
twin chimera
thomas beattie pregnant man

U.
ugly shirt boston proper
uber alles
utah phillips
universal health care versus single payer
university club st. paul mn

V. (I only had 4 personal searches under "V')
Valvex
Valvex root of name
verichip
very cold temperature glass

W.
william carlos williams just to say
women's colleges in the us
wagner's ring cycle
wordpress
wentworth south dakota

X. (None)

Y. (None)

Z.
zomg
zoloft
zoloft and dizziness





4 comments:

Schmiddy said...

1. This rocks. 2. How long did it take you? I can't imagine! 3. Chimera seems popular. I now need to google that myself.

Smitty said...

I wanted to learn more about the human twin version of a chimera after having my mind blown by this episode of radio lab:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2008/03/14

CoryQ said...

I am plased to have received my own color code, but suprised that only four searches were prompted by the strange outpouring of randomness that makes up my communiques.

A chimera is a mythical beast (from the Greeks) that has the head of a head of a lion, body of a goat, and tail of a snake. In genetic terms I think chimera is used to describe a creature (people included) that have two distinct groups of genetic cells. Being able to detect this in people is a relatively new process. I learned about it when a profesional cyclist claimed his blood test for drugs wasn't in fact a transfusion (which is cheating), but blood chimeraism.

But I could be wrong.

Smitty said...

CoryQ - You are correct on both definations of chimera. I'd previously only been familiar with the mythic creature, but heard about the human version (whose name was taken from mythology) on NPR's radio lab. See link in previous comment above. A woman had her children tested to see if they could be an organ donor for her, and was told that they were not (genetically) her children, despite having given birth to them. Turns out that the woman would've been a twin (actually,she is a twin in one person), but the two eggs joined at some point. Each egg genetically "claimed" different parts of her. Her blood was from one twin, but the other twin had passed its genetics onto her children. Only when they tested her DNA from other tissues were they able to confirm she's actually the parent of her children. It totally boggled my mind, hence the mutiple google searches on the subject.

P.S. Don't be too disappointed that there were so few "CoryQ" searches. Think of it this way, none of my other friends even got their own color coded category, which makes you special.