Thursday, January 24, 2008

Things irritating me this week

1) My upstairs neighbor
2) TruTech electronics

First, the neighbor.

Let me give you an idea of the setting of this story.

I live in an apartment building that is full of 20-30 somethings. That building is located in a city. By choosing to live in such a dwelling in such a location, I understood going in that I could expect a certain level of noise. Traffic outside, doors opening and closing at all hours, music that you may or may not like (shout out to the gay boy that lives beneath me and his Christina Aguilera remixes), amorous lovemaking, drunken revellry etc. These are all sounds I've tolerated, even enjoyed, in the time I've lived here. Knowing that my neighbor sometimes has too much to drink and can't get his key in the keyhole and cracks himself trying is funny, and makes me feel better when its my turn. In exchange for leaving my neighbors in peace, my noise has in turn been tolerated, be it my affection for
Wizard Rock or when I had a cat that stood at the door crying anytime anyone walked through the hallway. I've only intervened once upon hearing something through the floor; when that something was a woman below me getting beaten by her boyfriend.

But alas, I find myself in a situation where this auditory understanding based on common sense and mutal respect is null and void: when it comes to the guy upstairs.

He has knocked on my door multiple times, each time between the hours of 12 and 3 AM, to ask me if my bathroom fan is on. I will concede two points: 1) the bathroom fans in my building are on the loud side. And by loud I mean loud for a fan, but not by definition loud. 2) I did indeed have my bathroom fan on the first time he knocked on my door at 3AM. These are the facts he's choosing to focus on, claiming that he can't sleep when he hears it.

These are my facts: 1) Fan motors create steady background noise, white noise. Not the kind of jarring, vacillating noise that is usually considered disruptive. 2) The time I did have the fan on, I was asleep in the bedroom that is adjacent to the bathroom with the fan in question. In my mind, if I can do it, he can do it too. 3)Ever since the one and only time I actually had the fan on, I've been careful not to out of respect for him, and tell him that when he comes back. 4) Continuing to knock on my door in the middle of the night and waking my ass up to tell me you can't sleep because of something I only did once and am no longer doing out of respect for you even though I believe I should be able to have my fan on whenever I want without it realistically bothering anybody makes me want to hate you. Because it either means you are rude and think your sleep is more important than anyone elses (he knocks on other people's doors too) or it means you're creepy and like knocking on the doors of women who live alone so you can see them in their Tinkerbell pajamas, and, to add insult to injury, watch their cat escape into the hallway.

I've tried ignoring him. But, while I can sleep through a fan, I can't sleep through someone knocking on the door repeatedly, until I answer. I finally mentioned it to the resident manager who said he'd talk to him about it.

I also told the story to a co-worker who suggested the guy might be mentally ill, which kinda made me feel bad for hating him so much if that is the case. Any thoughts are always appreciated in the comments section.

I guess I'll save my Trutech electronics rant for later.

No comments: