Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar Party 2007!

You may recall the 2006 Oscar Party. Kelsey remembered fun menu and asked if I'd co-host an Oscar party with her this year. We'd already put together an evite, menu, games and decorations when she got the flu last week. We were hoping her health would improve, but she called me on noon Saturday and sadly informed me that she just couldn't do the party. I had to decide whether or not to cancel the party altogether or try to have the party at my place. Even though my apartment was in no condition to have guests, I decided to do my best and have the party at my place. That gave me from 1pm on Saturday until 6pm on Sunday to whip my place into shape and get the food prepared in time for the Barbara Walters Special.

I spent from 1 pm to 6pm on Saturday cleaning. I was living in squalor, apparently. I had to break Saturday evening to brave the snow (we'd gotten maybe a foot of snow since Friday night), hit a liquor store (liquor stores are closed on Sundays in Minnesota, forcing you to drive to Wisconsin if haven't planned ahead), and get to P-funk's parents house before they left for Benihana's for her dad's b-day party. We spent the night at her parents, which was great for me because I didn't have to worry about my car being in the way of the snow plow in my apartment parking lot, plus her dad and grandpa cleaned my car off for me (thanks guys). I took P-funk to work (what is it with dykes and there little sporty cars that can't drive in the snow) and then cleaned my apartment some more. This gave me just enough time to hit the supermarket, start the food, shower, and hang decorations before guests started to arrive. Thanks to P-funk for the last minute ice run, cake decorating, etc.

We had standard ballots and Oscar bingo like last year. It ended up being more of a get-together than a party, which was perfect. The guest list was drastically reduced due to snow, illness and the fact that guests who only know Kelsey didn't come. My place is way smaller than Kelsey's and my cooking skills are minimal at best, so a smaller number of people was about all I could handle. I have to say though, that I'm still pretty proud of the menu:

Food

"Love Stew I Do" - Beef and Vegetable Stew (Mama got to buy her first crock pot)
- Love you I Do from Dreamgirls: Best Original Song

"Dame Judi Dench Fries" - French Fries (Thanks Austin for this menu idea)
-Judi Dench: Best Actress for Notes on a Scandal

"Brie Antoinette Cheese Plate" - Brie
-Marie Antoinette: Costume Design
The Cheese Plate also included:
"Happy Wheat" and "Happy Meat" - Crackers and Summer Sausage
-Happy Feet: Best Animated Feature
"I Knead to Wake Up" - Baguette
-I Need to Wake Up: Best Original Song for An Inconvenient Truth
"Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch of Grapes" - Grapes
-Mark Wahlberg: Best Supporting Actor in The Departed

Desserts

"The Devil's Food Wears Prada" - Devil's Food Cake decorated with stiletto heel in icing
-The Devil Wear's Prada: Best Actress (Meryl Streep) and Costume

"Blood Diamonds" - Ring Pops
-Blood Diamond: Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Film Editing

Beverages

"Penelope Booze" - Rum, Vodka, Margarita in a Bucket
- Penelope Cruz: Best Actress in Volver

"The Good German Beer" - St. Pauli Girl Lager
-The Good German: Original Score

"Water" - Water
-Water: Best Foreign Film

1 comment:

coryQ said...

The cake was very good. For it I can vouch.