Sunday, February 04, 2007

No socks? Are ya crazy?

After a relaxing evening of dinner with Kelsey and Leaf, followed by snuggling under the covers to watch "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle," P-funk and I were about to fall asleep at 1 AM Friday night when her phone rang. I could hear her Dad's voice from my pillow: "Mom and I are locked out of the house, how fast can you get here?"

According to weather.com, it is currently -6 degrees Fahrenheit (-28 windchill) in Minneapolis. The Twin Cities have been experiencing this cold snap for the better part of a week now. It is probably safe to assume that it was even colder when P-funk got this call. Her parents had gone out for one last cigarette before bed and somehow the screen door had locked behind them. And P-funk's mom was wearing a robe, nightgown and slippers, no socks.

It is 15 minutes from my apartment to P-funk's parents' house in the suburbs. She got there in 7. They called three times while she was en route, each time sounding more slap happy and delirious. At one point her dad suggested they go stand behind a snow bank to try to block the wind. Another time he said he was going towards the white light. Her parents had clearly entered that state of euphoria experienced by people in hypothermia. They were one step away from hallucinating that a nearby snowdrift was actually a hot tub, stripping down, and climbing in. Luckily, there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage.

5 comments:

Paige said...

I guess that makes me there supper HERO :-)

Smitty said...

It makes you THEIR SUPERhero. Unless you also brought them dinner to that there place.

Paige said...

I said no making fun of my lack of spelling ability! :-P

Smitty said...

I don't recall ever agreeing to the above request. Sorry Charlie!

Paige said...

No you didn't but I did ask nicely.... :-P