Thursday, January 18, 2007

John Mayer is a Wannabe-Punk.

Does anyone else find the lyrics to John Mayer's new hit to be inane and stupid?

Waiting On The World To Change

me and all my friends
we're all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing
and there's no way we ever could
now we see everything
that's going wrong with the world
and those who lead it
we just feel like we don't have the means
to rise above and beat it

so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

it's hard to beat the system
when we're standing at a distance
so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change

now if we had the power
to bring our neighbors home from war
they would have never missed a Christmas
no more ribbons on their door
and when you trust your television
what you get is what you got
cause when they own the information, oh
they can bend it all they want

that's why we're waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

it's not that we don't care,
we just know that the fight ain't fair
so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change
and we're still waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

one day our generation
is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

Hey there poor little white boy, I understand how daunting it is to try to make a difference when faced with overwhelming forces like the Bush regime, patriarchy, institutionalized discrimination and so forth. Burn-out is common among activists. I myself used to be a queen of picket lines and grassroots organizing. Notice the "used to" part of that sentence. I'm the first to admit I'm not as politically active as I used to be, or probably should be (which isn't to say I do nothing - I vote and stay informed). But the last thing I would ever do is sit around and whine about how the world isn't changing fast enough if the only contribution I'm making is "waiting" it out!

"It's hard to beat the system/when we're standing at a distance." Really? No Kidding. Perhaps you'd like to, I don't know, stop standing there with your finger up your butt and do something.

"It's not that we don't care/ we just know that the fight ain't fair." Pwah, of course the opposition doesn't play fair. Boo hoo. Now do something about it!

And another thing that irritates me: John Mayer has those annoying "rock star" faces he makes during guitar solos. They seem so phony. Like something he saw a genuine musician do on stage as the product of creating music, then went home and practiced in front of his mirror.


UPDATE (03/08/2007): Mayer was on NPR this morning and has a very different take on "Waiting on the World to Change" than my initial interpretation. According to Mayer, the lyrics are a commentary on why our generation appears apathetic, as opposed to he himself being a lazybones. He claims that kids these days don't like to be told what to do in the 1960s-Bob-Dylan-protest-song-kind-of-way. If I understood him correctly, he instead presents an idea and allows listeners come to their own conclusions, rather than trying to shove politics down their throats. The problem with that is that listeners like me come to the completely wrong interpretation of his lyrics. But he says in the interview that he is okay with that. Even if his explanation is complete B.S., I have to give him credit for sounding pretty clever and witty in this interview. He still loses points for his rock star facial expressions (of which there is further evidence on the NPR site) and dating Jessica Simpson. Even though I suspect Jessica Simpson is actually much smarter than she lets on, the fact that she willingly perpetuates this dumb blonde image of herself in Pizza Hut ads and elsewhere is irritating and unfortunate.

2 comments:

coryq said...

HA! That picture drives the point home so well. He looks like he is in the heights of apathetic-wuss-rock-ecstasy!

Van Morrison said that music is spiritual, the music business is not. It could be the case that Mr Mayer is encumbered with a weak spirit and the drive to make money by appealing to the comfortable middle that has it good but wants it better.

Either way, I think you are right to find this song craptastic.

CoryQ said...

UPDATE: I heard this song the other day. Now that I have heard the ass-rock music to go with it, I have a deeper appreciation for just how lame this really is.