Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Hip Hip Hooray!

Jack says "keep that scalpel away from my scalp Bee-atch!"

As some of you may know, there's been some concern that my nephew would have to have surgery. All babies are born with their skulls in multiple pieces so their head can expand as they grow. Sometimes one or more of the sutures fuse too soon, causing cranial pressure and abnormal head growth. You want to see a doting Aunt flip out? Have her do a Google image search of Craniosynostosis. And once she recovers from those visuals, have her research the treatments where she'll find such phrases as "a zigzag incision from ear to ear" and "Once the scalp is peeled back, pilot holes are drilled through the skull." That's when you'll find Auntie K passed out on the floor.


Well, I'm happy to report that all is well and Jack's precious noggin will remain pristine and untouched. His second scan came back clear today; the suture that was concerning the surgeon is fine. Which is a relief because I could barely handle the thought of him sedated for the scan, let alone being put under and operated on at the tender age of 6 months!


Besides, that warm fuzzy head is my life source! You know, usually I'd be the perfect candidate for seasonal affect disorder. The sun is barely up when I leave for work in the morning. Then I work all day in a windowless office, only to go home after dark. But I can actually feel my serotonin levels rising when I nuzzle my nephew's head against my cheek, or suds up his peach fuzz hair in the bath. Who needs sunlight when there is a baby head to sniff and kiss? If Proctor & Gamble could find a way to bottle up that baby head feeling, there would be no more suicides.

2 comments:

coryq said...

"Who needs sunlight when there is a baby head to sniff and kiss? " is now a pondering on monkeyrivertown.com for one of the days in the not too distant future.

Glad your nephew is alright.

Kelsey said...

i texted you already, but i have to say that i am really, really happy for lil' jack. i'm also really glad you won't be passing out anymore!