Thursday, November 16, 2006

Equity Actors Foaming at the Mouth

A while back I was in a storage closet of the basement offices of the theatre where I work part-time. I'd been in there dozens of times, but never before noticed the presence of three peculiar labels affixed to the top shelf.

So I went to my boss, "So, um, why is there a shelf in the closet labeled "Breast cancer prevention, quitting smoking and sexually transmitted diseases?".

"Because there used to be a Planned Parenthood in here."

I'm guessing they kept their extra pamphlets on that shelf.

Who knew St. Paul Minnesota's "Historic Hamm Building" was once home to an abortion clinic?

Which perhaps explains why there is thick (bullet-proof?) plastic between the waiting room and the reception desk. And all this time I thought it was to kept rabid auditioning actors from lunging at the director.

1 comment:

CoryQ said...

Given the cost effectiveness of bullet proff or even bullet resistant plexiglass (Lexan Rules!), I think you are pretty close to the mark in your guess. Only one way to test it... I guess we have to go shoot at the theatre some night when we are really drunk and crazy.