Friday, September 09, 2005

Funny Lady

Friendster is a funny place. It is a great way to stay in touch with friends and spy on exes. But I have close friends who are not my "friendsters" because they aren't computer people and people who I only vaguely know as that-girl-I-went-to-college-with-but-had-never-spoken-to-until-she-was-a-bridesmaid-in-that-one-girl's-wedding who have asked me to be Friendsters. Which is cool because there is also this unspoken competition to have the most friends on friendster and I'll take em where I can get em. And sometimes Friendster brings about cool little encounters that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Case in point: my girlfriend was tracked down on Friendster by someone she had been in a youth choir with back in 3rd grade and hadn't seen since. But my girlfriend's name in Allegra and the woman was doing a Friendster search of people from their hometown and how many Allegras are from Minnetonka, MN really? Turns out this woman, Amy Anderson, is an accomplished stand-up comic who has been featured on Comedy Central and VHI. So Allegra took to checking Amy's site periodically and low-and-behold, Amy had a comedy gig over the weekend right here in Minneapolis. So we decided to check it out. And not only was the show free (I'm a sucker for a bargain), Amy was hilarious and totally into the fact that some random chick from her childhood and random chick's girlfriend showed up.

Amy was funny regardless, but I think my experience of her performance was heightened by the location of the show. Amy was performing in the chapel of Augsburg College as part of their freshman orientation. I think she was invited because some of her material deals with her Asian heritage, racism and stereotypes. I got the feeling she was told shortly before her performance that "the freshman learned about discrimination today and we are hoping you can help further their understanding of stereotypes with your comedy." So there she was, in the chapel of "a college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America," with an audience of mostly young white kids who probably just left their small Midwestern town for the first time and she's been charged with making racial sensitivity more palatable. She did a very good job. She had the crowd rolling (except one girl in the front row wearing a pink and purple striped shirt who looked shell shocked). But I have a feeling whatever admissions counselor or orientator hired Amy hadn't heard all her material as she scandalized the rooms with jokes about her divorce, live in boyfriend and a hilarious bit about the sexual names of fast food joints (in and out, hot and now, etc).

3 comments:

CADsmith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thomas said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it.
I you got time , go visit my site, it´s about credit cards. It pretty much covers credit cards and other similar cards available.

Go and check it out if you got some spare time :-)

Thomas

ankiTa said...

love reading your blog!